Friday 16 December 2011

Assignment 1 - preparation

I have used my preparation for this first assignment to experiment with tonal studies and working on coloured grounds. I have chosen my garden sculpture from an interest in man made objects, the playfulness of the subject and its complex colour.

Starting with pencil and graghite sketches I got a sense of proportions, structure and tone. The bright low winter sun cast strong shadows helping to define the subject's mass. I followed this up with a series of photos of the subject from different positions using Degas's approach to studies of ballet dancers. I converted several grey tone photos into stenciles. Then by selecting two examples I produced oil pastel rubbings which enabled me to try out colours for my foreground and background. I also experimented with painting over a photo, re-drawing using drafting aids and also very loose over painting of some of the rubbings. I liked the effect I achieved when painting over the photo print. The paint layer was transluscent and allowed the grey tones to come through from the photo. The bured edges achieved by using a flat brush has softened the image adding to the overall effect.

Experimenting with different colours, I have arrived at a combination that achieves the outcome I am seeking. I have taken those colours then applied them to colured grounds. This appears to have enhanced the depth and strength of the images.

I have set the object up in my studio and am working on an enlarged version again using a coloured ground. I have discovered that working at a larger scale requires more thought to mixing sufficient paint and drying times. Working at this scale also takes longer! I have started the main work by sketching out with a chalk pencil then applying a first layer of ultramarine over which I am applying other colours. I intend to cut back through the upper layers of paint with sand paper once it has dryed to expose some of the under-layer


No comments:

Post a Comment