Thursday 22 December 2011

Assignment 1 - deciding to stop

Eventually I came to a stop! A point where I had become more interested in moving onto another subject and a recognition that I felt I was fussing over small details as the light changed within my studio.


As I progressed from initial layout, through blocking in colour and building tones to adding detail, my progress slowed. I had planned to leave the background as a plain colour but on stepping back and leaving my work for a few hours, I decided to add more detail. The background was prepared from a tablecloth with a checkered pattern in different tones of blue. A simple fold across the middle just off vertical distorted the regularity of the checks. By sketching in the squared pattern with a chalk pencil, I proceeded with filling in the pattern with individual blocks of colour. I wanted to illustrate the light variation from top right to bottom left which I achieved by gradually darkening the pattern as it progressed from right to left. The cloth was not smooth so I wanted to create the impression of woven fabric by overlaying translucent layers. I added some warmth to the background (also present in the original tablecloth) by mixing a small amount of cadmium red with the ultramarine.

The pattern was built up over a tonal base layer and required on-going re-mixing of pigments to achieve the effect I was after. Once I have worked the background, I reviewed the impact on the main subject. I checked back on earlier tonal studies of the subject and set up a single light source in my studio to create clear shadows. Iteratively I added tones to the subject, then shadows. Following breaks (some of which were at least 24 hours), I readjusted the subject as my observation picked up minor issues I was not comfortable about.

I have decided that any new paint marks to the work is no longer adding value. I feel there are places where I have already over-worked the subject. I have not achieved a true reproduction of the colour or mottled effect of the original subject but am pleased with my brighter alternative. I have kept my pallet to three colours (ultramarine, cadmium yellow and crimson) plus white and black.


Finally I have positioned a frame over my work to see if this adjustment to the composition would create more focus to the shoulders, neck and head of the subject. I particularly like the detailed effect I have achieved around nose of the subject. The frame does increase the focus and makes the work resemble a portrait painting but I prefer the composition created with more of the background visible as illustrated at the top of this blog.

This assignment has reminded me of the importance of taking breaks, stepping back and viewing the whole work on a regular basis. There is always room for additional studies of the subject and those where I have used mixed media have produced some interesting outcomes that I want to experiment with further e.g. over-painting grey tone photographic prints. I recognise that I need more practice with achieving a smooth transition from light to dark (or visa versa) with acrylic paints, coping with drying speeds and mixing sufficient (but not too much) colour.

I do not want to develop a style that purely reproduces something that could be achieved more effectively photographically. I get most enjoyment from painted works that go beyond an optical reflection of reality and I am seeking a personal style that allows my imagination to express itself in a technically competent yet confident and playful manner.  This assignment has stretched me technically and through the studies, warmed me up to the potential for further experimentation and personal growth. I have also got more out of my visits to various exhibitions, being more observant and critical of others work as well as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment